2017 Scheduled Tours Tour#1:
Newport’s Famous Ten Mile Drive
Soak in the beauty of the Ten Mile Ocean Drive. View 17th century buildings and marvelous mansions along Bellevue Avenue. Capture the lovely landscaped garden at Chateau-sur-Mer and if weather permits, take a brief walk at Fort Adams.
Enjoy this fully narrated bus tour with details on residences of prominent people such as the Watts Sherman House, Kingscote, McCauley Hall and Belcourt Castle. Learn about:
- Architectural History 1640-1915: Richard Morris Hunt, Richard Munday, McKim, Mead & White
- Colony House where the death of King George II was announced
- Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House: oldest house in Newport
- Touro Synagogue: oldest surviving synagogue in North America
- Redwood Library: the first public library in America
- The Tennis Hall of Fame
- Newport Naval Academy
- Hammersmith Farm built for John W. Auchincloss (1887): the unofficial Summer White House of John F. Kennedy
- We'll also catch a glimpse of Newport’s Famous Trees such as Beech Trees, Copper Beech, Weeping Beech and Turkey Oak trees, and hear legendary stories like how Mr. Gordon Bennet, New York Herald publisher, and Augustus Candy made an interesting wager that got them kicked out of The Reading Room!
- Tour #1: Newport’s Famous Ten Mile Ocean Drive, tour is described above (1½ hours)
- Tour #2: Tour #1 and visit one mansion of your choice on your own (~3 hours)
- Tour #3: Tour #1 and visit two mansions of your choice on your own (~4½ hours)
Mansions available for Tour #2 & Tour#3
The Breakers, Marble House, Rosecliff and Museum Of International Tennis Hall of Fame
Newport’s Famous Ten Mile Drive (approximately 1.5 hrs.)
Soak in the beauty of the Ten-Mile Ocean Drive and the Summer residences of many prominent people, Take a look at the Seventeenth century buildings and the marvelous mansions along Bellevus Avenue.
Majestic Mansion Tour (approximately 3.0 hrs.)
Enjoy all of Our Newport’s Famous Ten Mile Drive plus a visit to ONE manion, Visit the summer estates of the Vanderbilt family, The Breakers of Marble House, or see Rosecliff, where the “The Great Gatsby” was filmed or any other mansion of your choice.
Double Mansion Tour - Newport’s Famous Ten Mile Ocean Drive
( Approximately 4 ½ hours )
PLUS TWO MANSIONS
Breakers & Marble House
Breakers & Rosecliff